Amb. (ret.) DAVID HUEBNER, C.Arb, FCIArb, FCollArb
David Huebner has more than 30 years’ experience as an arbitrator and advocate in international, investment, investor-state, and complex commercial arbitrations. He is a Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, has been designated a Chartered Arbitrator by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and has been named to numerous distinguished practitioner lists, including SVAMC’s “Tech List” of the world’s most accomplished technology neutrals.
He has particular expertise in technology, life sciences, investment, and energy disputes but has handled matters across a wide range of industry sectors, legal issues, and geographic regions. Currently resident in California, he hears cases internationally and has been based for extended periods in Tokyo, Shanghai, London, and New York.
His diverse professional background informs his approach to decision-making, process, and efficiency. In addition to practicing law as a partner in firms in the AmLaw 100, he has served as U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand, founding managing partner of a law office in China, chair and CEO of an international law firm, chair of the California Law Revision Commission, and IP adviser to a member of Japan’s National Diet.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- On October 28, 2023, Amb. Huebner moderated a panel of AI engineers and technologists on the current and near-term uses of AI in arbitration, for the College of Commercial Arbitrators, in Washington, DC.
- Amb. Huebner was recently elected chair of the global board of trustees of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb).
- An appointee of Governor Gavin Newsom, Amb. Huebner was recently elected chair of the California Law Revision Commission. He previously chaired the Commission under Governors Gray Davis and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Who’s Who Legal has again named Amb. Huebner as a “thought leader” in arbitration.
- Amb. Huebner was recently admitted to the panel of commercial arbitrators of the Centro Brasileiro de Mediação e Arbitragem.