Amb. (ret.) DAVID HUEBNER, C.Arb, FCIArb, FCollArb
David Huebner has more than 30 years’ experience as an arbitrator and advocate in international, investment, investor-state, and complex commercial arbitrations. He is a Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, has been designated a Chartered Arbitrator by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and has been named to numerous distinguished practitioner lists, including SVAMC’s “Tech List” of the world’s most accomplished technology neutrals.
He has particular expertise in technology, life sciences, investment, and energy disputes but has handled matters across a wide range of industry sectors, legal issues, and geographic regions. Currently resident in California, he hears cases internationally and has been based for extended periods in Tokyo, Shanghai, London, and New York.
His diverse professional background informs his approach to decision-making, process, and efficiency. In addition to practicing law as a partner in firms in the AmLaw 100, he has served as U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand, founding managing partner of a law office in China, chair and CEO of an international law firm, chair of the California Law Revision Commission, and IP adviser to a member of Japan’s National Diet.
Amb. Huebner has extensive experience conducting remote hearings and mediation sessions and is fluent in Zoom, Webex, Microsoft Teams, and similar platforms.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- On August 11, 2023, Amb. Huebner delivered a lecture on technology, transparency, and state action in arbitration at the 6th annual conference of the Centro Brasileiro de Mediação e Arbitragem (CBMA), in Rio de Janeiro.
- On August 14, 2023, Amb. Huebner delivered a lecture on the fundamentals of international arbitration and the New York Convention during a training program for arbitration practitioners co-sponsored by the Chartered Institute’s Brazil Branch and CBMA, in Rio de Janeiro.
- On August 17, 2023, Amb. Huebner spoke on use of technology in international arbitration at a seminar at the Centro de Arbitraje y Mediación (CAM), in Santiago.
- On 25 August 2023, Amb. Huebner spoke on overcoming obstacles to innovation and efficiency in arbitration processes, in a webinar sponsored by CIArb’s North America Branch.
- On 28 August 2023, Amb. Huebner was admitted to the panel of commercial arbitrators of the Centro Brasileiro de Mediação e Arbitragem.