Amb. (ret.) DAVID HUEBNER, C.Arb, FCIArb, FCollArb
David Huebner has more than 30 years’ experience as an arbitrator and advocate in international, investment, and complex commercial arbitrations. He is a Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, has been designated a Chartered Arbitrator by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and has been named to numerous distinguished practitioner lists, including SVAMC’s “Tech List” of the world’s most accomplished technology neutrals.
He has particular expertise in technology, life sciences, investment, and energy disputes but has handled matters across a wide range of industry sectors, legal issues, and geographic regions. Currently resident in California, he hears cases internationally and has been based for extended periods in Tokyo, Shanghai, London, and New York.
His diverse professional background informs his approach to decision-making, process, and efficiency. In addition to practicing law as a partner in firms in the AmLaw 100, he has served as U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand, founding managing partner of a law office in China, chair and CEO of an international law firm, chair of the California Law Revision Commission, and IP adviser to a member of Japan’s National Diet.
Amb. Huebner has extensive experience conducting remote hearings and mediation sessions and is fluent in Zoom, Webex, Microsoft Teams, and similar platforms.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- On 10 January 2023, Amb. Huebner delivered a lecture on the role of international arbitration in cross-border commerce, investment, and dispute resolution at the ADR Change Makers Capstone in Pakistan organized by Street Law Inc. and the Pakistan Legal Aid Society.
- On 9 February 2023, Amb. Huebner delivered a lecture on technology and sustainability challenges and innovation in arbitration practice at the 8th Annual International Arbitration and CISG Conference at Universidad Panamericana, in Guadalajara.
- On 8 March 2023, Amb. Huebner chaired the tribunal in a mock arbitration between ChatGPT and the winning team of the Rio de Janeiro Vis Pre-Moot. The proceeding and related commentary re Chat GPT can be viewed here.
- On 15 March 2023, Amb. Huebner will speak on drafting disputes provisions for cross-border technology agreements, during California International Arbitration Week.
- On 17 March 2023, Amb. Huebner will speak on overcoming resistance to innovation in arbitration structure and practice, at California International Arbitration Week.
- On 15 April 2023, Amb. Huebner will deliver a lecture on the future evolution of arbitration and threats thereto, at the CIArb North America Branch conference in Santa Fe, NM.
- On 8-9 June 2023, Amb. Huebner will teach several sections of the intensive Stanford Law School Advanced IP/Tech Mediation and Arbitration Course designed for experienced litigation and arbitration counsel, in Palo Alto, CA.